Finally ready to reveal this great vintage maple dresser makeover!
I found this great maple dresser on Craigslist and while it was in great condition, it needed a little help. The date on the back said it was manufactured in December of 1966 so not quite as old as I am, but close! And if it feels anything like I do, a little makeover is always appreciated!
The finish on the top of the dresser was shiny and required stripping. Here is the affiliate link to the Citristrip stripper I used. I like this one because it can be used indoors and works great. I only sanded the rest of the dresser with my orbital sander and sanding blocks because I was going to use paint for the rest of the dresser. It took three coats of DIY chalk paint to give good coverage. I’m still experimenting with the formula I like best.
Taping the inside of the drawers to keep the paint from dripping through the hardware holes was a great tip I picked up, I just don’t remember where! So if I got it from you, Thanks! It’s been a great way to keep the drawers nice and paint free.
I lined the drawers with contact paper using a cutting mat and a blade. It was easy and fast but not so great when I got ready to put clothes in the drawers. I thought the paper was thick enough not to curl, I had not planned to use the ‘contact’ part of the paper. When I came back later to take pictures, the paper had rolled up. If I had any patience I would have waited until my next shopping trip and picked up some pretty drawer liner and do this again, but instead I used thumb tacks to hold the paper in place.
I know what you’re thinking!
Why didn’t you change the handles??!! Well, I may not have told you yet, but I hate to spend money, well not exactly, but to replace all this hardware was going to be expensive and I thought the color of the handles actually anchored the piece and complimented to top.
So for now, I’m going to live with it a while and see how I feel about it after a few weeks.
The drawers looked really flat, so I distressed them using a sanding block. It took a little time because I had painted three coats, but I like the results.I used Annie Sloan Clear Wax to finish it off, giving it a nice soft finish.
This thing was a bear getting it up the stairs, but we did it. Thanks Hubbie! It didn’t take me long to fill the drawers! And now we have a piece more fitting the decor of our bedroom.
I hope you enjoyed seeing the transformation of this little vintage maple dresser, let me know what you think! I would love some feedback!
And if you like it, I hope you’ll take a minute to Pin it!!
See you next time!